Our Lady of Africa Choir sings a wide variety of sacred music, Contemporary Music, American and African Spirituals and traditional African folk songs in several of Ugandan dialects notably, Luganda, Ateso, Lugbara, Luo, Runyakitara, Akaramojong, Lusoga, Lugisu, Kumam, Lukonjo and Samia. We also use international languages such as English, Latin, Italian, French, Spanish, Polish, Kiswahili and other local foreign dialects in Africa (Igbo- Nigeria, mozambique, South African dialects and our neighbouring countries of the Democratic Republic of Congo, (Lingala) Burundi, Kenya, Tanzania and Rwanda (Kinyarwanda).
The Choir sings at Weddings, Thanksgiving ceremonies, Baptism, Requiem Masses in both Catholic and Anglican Churches. It presents Annual Christmas Carols every second Sunday of December and Easter carol services on Palm Sunday at Our Lady of Africa Kindergarten, Mbuya Parish. The choir has also regularly performed alongside other Choirs on invitation within Kampala and other parts of Uganda as well as outside Uganda such as in the Prestigious Interdiocese Catholic Church Choirs' Music Festival for the SADEC Countries (South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia and Swaziland) where the choir was invited as a Guest Choir from East Africa. The Choir has also performed in Coutries such as Rwanda, Kenya and Tanzania.
The Choir practices at the Church premises every Sunday from 11.00am to 1.30pm after the 9.00am Mass, Saturdays from 3:00pm to 5:00pm and during the weekdays on Thursday from 6.00pm to 8.00pm.
The Choir like our 9:00am congregation has many members from many countries in the world and Ugandan tribes and One of the joys of membership is sharing music (and food!). Members range in age from Primary school to more “mature” singers. The Choir welcomes everyone interest in Music, dance and drama, those interested can join the choir on sundays after 9:00am Mass during rehersals for assistance or can contact the Chairperson, Mr. Robert Ateng Obace (0772-889542); the Music Director, Mr. Peter Paul Bruno Odwori (0704-923167) and the Public Relations, Ms. Barbara Namatovu (0772-650042)
Annual Choir Events:
1. Choir day (Feast of Our Lady of Africa on 30th April )
2. Easter Carols on Palm Sunday 4:00pm and Easter Vigil 7:30pm at the Church
3. Parish Day (Feast of Assumptsion of Mary into Heaven 15th August)
4. Choir Retreat in October
5. Christmas Carols every second Sunday of December at 4:00pm in Our Lady of Africa Kindergaten Hall Mbuya and Christmas Vigil at 8:30pm in the Church
Members of the Choir Executive:
- Chairman: Mr. Robert Ateng Obace
- Vice Chairperson: Mr. Joseph Lutwa
- General Secretary: Mr. John Nuwagaba
- Deputy Secretary: Ms. Joan Banura
- Treasurer: Ms. Annette Twagalana
- Public Relations: Ms. Barbara Namatovu
- Asst. Public Relations: Ms. Paula Epilar Auma
- Choir Music Director Mr. Peter Paul Bruno Odwori
- Liturgical Secretary: Sr. Simon Peter Abbooki
- Liturgical Secretary: Mr. Wycliffe Swinnerstone
- Welfare Officer: Mr. Anthony Wamala
- Librarian: Miss Nancy Angeeo
- Deputy Librarian: Miss. Phiona Walimuchan